Last night’s loss was tough to swallow. Especially since it was my boy, Kam, who took the loss. I am almost 100% convinced he will be starting the season in Oklahoma. All but two of the bullpen spots are locked up, and he hasn’t even been mentioned as a candidate. It breaks my heart, and I’m not even the least bit excited that I would get to see him in person in a RedHawks uniform in mid-April. I’d much rather see him in a Rangers uniform and not see him in person until May or June. *sigh* But his fate is not looking favorable.
Jason Botts, on the other hand, has made a stronger case for a spot on the roster. Today, he played a near flawless 1B (although he wasn’t too challenged) and went 2 for 5 with three RBI. Both of his hits came with RISP, something the Rangers had been wanting to see from him all spring. I guess it’s better late than never, and he may be in Seattle on March 31, afterall.
Other random thoughts…
– I’m underwhelmed by Milton Bradley as of yet. It’s clear he’s not 100% yet. He used to be a Ranger killer.
– I don’t know what to make of Scott Feldman being converted into a starter. I like Feldy, but he wasn’t a great reliever. Then again, I hated C.J. Wilson as a starter and now embrace him as the closer. Perhaps a change in roles will produce a changed player. I sure hope so. I would love to see Feldman succeed.
– I can’t lie — I cheered for a Mariner during today’s game. Tug Hulett. I miss him as a Ranger. I hope he does great things.
– I’m on the fence about the Laird/Saltalamacchia/Melhuse situation. Melhuse underwhelmed me last year, and he hasn’t done much this spring to win me over either. Laird was fantastic behind the plate last year and, I think, helped make up for his anemic offensive output. Salty can hit — there’s no doubt — but I’m not sure he’s comfortable with the catcher’s duties yet. He’s very young, so he has a lot of time to grow into it, but I haven’t decided if he’d be better off learning at the big league or AAA level.
– When I visit the Rangers gift shop in a few weeks, I plan to buy a new player tee (I get one each year), but I haven’t decided which one I’d want. Of course, I don’t know which ones are available either. So far, I have Loe, Kinsler, Young, Blalock and Wilson. You know I’ll get a Botts one someday. But Hamilton and Murphy are sounding good too.
– Jamey Newberg’s enthusiasm is contagious. His reports from Surprise this week have been so fun to read. I appreciate that he’s unabashed in his love for the Rangers, and I thoroughly enjoy his reports, stories and anecdotes. I’m in awe of his knowledge of the game and the Texas organization, and try to soak up all I can. His reports arrive in my inbox early in the morning, and they usually get my day started on a good note.
By the way, I’ll be taking down almost all of my photo albums in the next week to make room for the new ones I hope to add this season. So…be sure to take a peek at all my photos before they’re gone!!